Friday 14 May 2010

PRESENT CONTINUOS TENSE

Present Continuous

Quick example:
  • He is sleeping.
  • I am visiting grandpa in the afternoon.
  • You are always coming late for the meetings!

The Present Continuous is mainly used to express the idea that something is happening at the moment of speaking. Another use of the tense is to talk about what we are planning to do. There are also other uses, listed below.
Use
  1. Present actions
  2. Temporary actions
  3. Longer actions in progress
  4. Future (personal) arrangements and plans
  5. Irritation over something or somebody in the present
USE 1: Present Actions
Use the Present Continuous tense to talk about actions happening at the moment of speaking.

Examples:
  • He is eating a dinner.
  • Mary is talking with her friend.
  • They are swimming.

"I'm taking a shower now".
  • Why is this in Present Continuous? Because the Johny is taking shower at this precise moment.

USE 2: Temporary Actions
This tense is also used for activities continuing for only a limited period of time.

Examples:
  • I'm riding a bike to get to work because my car is broken. (It will soon be repaired)
  • They are not talking with each other after the last argument. (They will soon make up)


USE 3: Longer Actions in Progress
We also use the Present Continuous when we are in a middle of doing something time-consuming (i.e. something that takes time to complete). An example of such an activity is writing a book, saving money or studying for an exam.

Examples:
  • They are working hard to earn money.
  • I am training to become a professional footballer.
  • Mike is studying hard to become a doctor.
  • Elizabeth is currently writing a children's book titled I am the World.

"I'm writing an adventure book".
  • Why is this in Present Continuous? Click on the buttons located on the Timeline to see the other scenes. You will find out that Alex (the writer) was writing a book a month ago, two months ago and three months ago. Clearly, it's a longer action in progress.

USE 4: Future (Personal) Arrangements and Plans
Sometimes we use the Present Continuous to show that something will be done in the near future.

Examples:
  • I'm meeting Katie in the evening.
  • He's flying to Rome in September.
  • We're not going anywhere tomorrow.


USE 5: Irritation or Anger
And the last use of this tense is to express irritation or anger over somebody or something in the present.

Examples:
  • She's always complaining about everything!
  • Johny is always asking me stupid questions!
  • They are always coming late to meetings!

Form
To form a sentence in the Present Continuous, you have to:
  • know the proper conjugation of the auxiliary verb "to be".
    PersonSingularPlural
    FirstI amWe are
    SecondYou areYou are
    ThirdHe/she/it isThey are
  • add the "ing" suffix to the verb (to form the present participle of the verb)

    Examples:
    • try + ing = trying
    • go + ing = going

Contracted forms (more)

  • I + am = I'm
  • is + not = isn't
  • are + not = aren't
  • he + is = he's
  • she + is = she's
  • it + is= it's
Declarative Sentences
Subject + Auxiliary verb + Verb + ing
e.g. I/a dog etc. is / are e.g. work/go/make
    Examples Use
    He is getting married this month Use 2)
    They are swimming in the sea Use 1)
    I'm having my first driving lesson this week Use 2)
    I'm studying to become lawyer one day Use 1)
    I'm drinking hot coffee now Use 1)
    She is always asking me stupid questions. Use 3)
Questions
Auxiliary verb + Subject + Verb + ing
is / are e.g. I/a dog etc. e.g. work/go/make
    Examples Use
    Is she eating my cake now? Use 1)
    Are they having the party on Friday or Saturday? Use 2)
    Are you meeting David today? Use 2)
    Is Mary having breakfast now? Use 1)
Negative Sentences


Subject + Auxiliary verb + not + Verb + ing
e.g. I/a dog etc. is not / are not e.g. work/go/make
Examples Use
He is not joking Use 1)
We aren't waiting for my uncle Use 1)
He is not going to school tomorrow Use 2)

No comments: