Monday 10 May 2010

PAST SIMPLE TENSE

Past Simple Tense

Quick example:
  • I was sleepy.
  • He didn't learn any Italian when he was in Italy two year ago.
  • I went to the cinema, bought popcorn and watched a movie.
We use the Past Simple to talk about actions that happened at a specific time in the past. The actions can be short or long. There can be a few actions happening one ofter another.
Use
  1. Events in the past that are now finished
  2. Situation in the past
  3. A series of actions in the past
USE 1: Past actions that are now finished
The first use of the Past Simple to express actions that happened at a specific time in the past. The actions can be short [1] or long [2].

Examples:
  • John cut his finger last week. [1]
  • I went to college 3 years ago. [2]
  • He ate the dinner 1 hour ago. [1]
  • I slept well last night. [2]
USE 2: Situation in the past
Another use of this tense is talk about situations in the past.

Examples:
  • If we had gone by taxi, we wouldn't have been late.
  • If Mary had studied harder, she would have passed the exam.
USE 3: A series of actions in the past
The Past Simple can also be used with a few actions in the past happening one after another.

Examples:
  • He entered a room, lit a cigarette and smiled at the guests.
Form
Forming a sentence in the Past Simple is easy. To form a declarative sentence, all you need is the subject of the sentence (e.g. I, you, he, a dog) and the past form of your verb (e.g. was, talked, swam). Questions and negative sentences are only a little more difficult, because they require an auxiliary verb.
Declarative Sentences
Subject + Verb + ED or an irregular verb form
e.g. I/a dog etc. e.g. worked/went/made

I saw two colorful fishes in the lake yesterday (Use 1)
    Examples Use
    He entered the room, lit a cigarette and smiled at the guests. (Use 3)
    Mary tried the soup but it was too hot to eat. (Use 1)
    I lived in New York for 10 years (I don't live there anymore). (Use 2)
    They saw us playing football. (Use 1)
    He married a woman who lived in the same village. (Use 1) (Use 3)
    I ate the cake yesterday. (Use 1)
    I have eaten the cake yesterday.  
Time Expressions
Common time expressions (time adverbials) in the Past Simple are:
  • yesterday
  • the other day
  • just now
  • the day before yesterday
Questions
Auxiliary verb + Subject + Verb in the present form
did e.g. I/a dog etc. e.g. work/go/make
    Examples Use
    How long did he work there? (Use 1)
    Did the telephone ring? (Use 1)
    Did you see that? (Use 1)
Negative Sentences
Subject + Auxiliary verb + not + Verb in the past form
e.g. I/a dog etc. didn't e.g. worked/went/made
Examples Use
He didn't learn any Italian when he was in Italy two year ago. (Use 1)
I wasn't at my grandma's when you came. (Use 1)
He didn't get any good grades when he attended school. (Use 3)

No comments: